Birds On Chandelier

Sunday, January 1, 2012

KELABU: What about it???

Within the last 10 years, I had stopped reading Malay novels at once. Not  because I hate my own mother tongue but really, most of the written stories, love especially are very cliche in terms of plot, characters, conflicts and ending. Even the words used as well portray over display of affection or rather we know as 'jiwang' which in reality, most of the endearments are not really well applied among us. Speaking of crap.duh! So you see, I have totally lost my interest to read any Malay novels anymore let alone buy them.

However, last week someone made me changed my mind. That someone is one of my Maresmart friends, a writer named Nadia Khan  who has just published and launched her first masterpiece 'Kelabu'. I totally doubt that she's gonna write another crap. Y?? Knowing Neddo's background, I believe she's able to pull it through. The fact itself had aroused my interest to grab one of her copies out of the bookshelves in store at Popular bookstore in Mesra Mall. I spent two days reading it (mind my lack of reading Malay novels mode) and I have to admit that I love the whole thing namely the writing style, characters, the twist, the conflicts as well as the ending. If you think that Neddo's words used in the novel are dull and dry, you are totally wrong. Slangs, codeswitching and codemixing are among new elements were included to spice up the dialogues and story altogether. The whole reading process becomes more fun when the main character Amir seems to directly talking and connecting to you when Neddo successfully reveals his deep thoughts and inner feelings. A big applause for you Neddo. I am entertained and enlightened. The number of 456 pages seem short to me. Really. hehe :p




To those who happen to read my review, do not suck in my every word without you reading the novel yourself. I might be right or I might be wrong either. Here is the caption written at the back cover of the novel.

Senang kalau hidup dalam dunia hitam putih,
Baik-buruk, betul-salah, cinta-benci,
lelaki-perempuan.

Apa jadi pada yang di tengah-tengah?
Apa jadi pada orang-orang macam aku?

Bila Jun datang pada aku, menawarkan posisi sebagai
'boyfriend kontrak', aku tak tolak. Salah aku ke kalau aku
kata "ya" pada awek cun? Salah aku ke kalau aku lagi pandai
layan dia daripada boyfriend dia sendiri?

Salah aku ke kalau aku jatuh cinta pada dia?

Aku amir. Jemputlah masuk ke dunia aku,
di mana hitam dan putihnya tak berapa jelas.
Mungkin hanya lepas tu, korang akan faham
macamana rasanya berada di dunia aku.
Dunia KELABU.   



 P/S: More details regarding the novel can be found at http://fixi.com.my
 

2 comments:

  1. saya dah baca cerita ni. yeah. memang terbaik.

    bila sudah sampai separuh daripada buku itu, saya baru tahu yang amir ialah seorang perempuan. -.-''

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amii, mmg menarik kan....suatu kelainan yang baru...:p

    ReplyDelete